Thursday, December 3, 2009

I am Mr. Mom every day

Think it's a sin to quit a job? Conventional wisdom is "never quit your job, unless you have another one." Plus, the Bible tells us that "those who will not work, should not eat." Yet, there is also scripture about quitting one's vocation and taking up another. 2 years ago, I began a new journey as a stay-at-home dad. At first, my daughters were in a pre-school, but 6 months later, I brought them home for several reasons. Now I am their primary caregiver and my wife works.

Who in the Bible quit their job? No less than the closest human beings to Jesus, his disciples. "And Jesus, walking by the sea of Galilee, saw two brethren, Simon called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers.
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
And they straightway left their nets, and followed him. " - The Book of Matthew Chapter 4. These two disciples didn't even work a 2 week notice or train their replacements. They just dropped the nets and followed.

We must challenge ourselves to think of work roles and home roles in new ways in this ever-changing society. As the corporate world strives to balance the scales of gender and racial diversity, so long tipped in favor of Caucasian males (like me), more and more men are joining the ranks of stay-at-home dads. Why should we fight this trend? If it is better for one's family to let the wife continue her career, may God bless that home. I cherish the extra time I am getting with my kids. But there are some who struggle with the idea of a stay-at-home dad.

Last week, the man who bagged my groceries commented "playing Mr. Mom today?" I replied, "I am Mr. Mom every day". I could see by the look on his face, this rocked his world. He finally let loose "Oh, you are unemployed." So, even though I told him I did this by choice and that it was mostly fun, his expression showed his doubt. I thanked him for his efforts and we went about our business. People can get locked into thinking one way, until they read some words like "They just dropped their nets and followed."

No comments: