Saturday, August 14, 2010

Hurry up and start forsaking already

I've written before about my latest journey as a stay-at-home dad. It's been over 2 years that I have been the primary caregiver for my preschool children and almost 3 years that I have not had a traditional job. While this role is not for everyone, I truly believe there are some reasons for me and for everyone to rethink the traditional job roles and traditional motivations of our American society.

First, let me start with scripture. From the Book of Matthew Chapter 19:27:

"Then answered Peter and said unto him, Behold, we have forsaken all, and followed thee; what shall we have therefore? And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life. But many that are first shall be last; and the last shall be first."


Our society's norms lead most Americans down the path of "more is better" and "rich over poor". Some Christian leaders even echo this when they talk about people "getting blessed" with a great job or a coveted position that will make them wealthy, as if this is what Christ was telling us to do. I am afraid he simply was not. Even I have tried to keep both ideals and justify them against each other. That the LOVE of money is the root of all evil, not money itself and that Christ did tell the parable of the talents and how investing (and therefore making money) was a great thing and to be pursued.

Not exactly. He also lost it when they starting selling wares inside the temple. You know, turning the place into a "den of thieves." I must admit it is difficult sometimes to resolve some of the ideas against one another, but of all the things Christ asked us to do, he never asked us to get rich and have the biggest house in the richest neighborhood. What part of "the first shall be last and the last shall be first" do we not understand?

He goes on in other scripture to tell us not to worry about what we eat and what we wear. That a lily is prettier than any human could ever be and that a bird has it's 100% RDA of calories just from stuff in the trees and on the ground. Yet, our American fashion industry and our food industry is spending billions trying to optimize our looks, our tastebuds and waistlines.

The stay-at-home dad phenomena that I am personally a part of right now is coming about as more families and dads value their families above the almighty paycheck. Stay at home moms have also realized a resurgence in the past decade as more families stop turning their kids over to daycares and pre-schools to do their child-rearing and take the responsibility personally.

Did Mary drop Jesus off at the best daycare in town on the way to her high-paying job? No, I don't read that in the Bible. I know there are people who have circumstances that keep them from doing their parenting personally. I am not here to judge, but nudge. If you are reading this and have an interest in being a stay-at-home dad or stay-at-home mom, what do you think? Are there subtle voices telling you that pursuing wealth to the detriment of your family might be a SIN? Hmm, maybe it is. Maybe not. Of course every situation is different, and that also supports the argument that some dads probably SHOULD be stay-at-home dads. There are probably a good number of dads that SHOULD be at home with their kids, but the family members are just too addicted to stuff and debt and the upper class lifestyle to really make a commitment to their families.

------------------------

On a different note, I am reading "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan as part of a bible study class at my local church. Francis' writing and his videos on his website are refreshing and are opening me up to a new vision of who God is and how to talk to him. It's been a great week thinking about God is this new way and how I can be more thankful and mindful of my role in this vast universe he has created. The vastness of the universe does NOT contradict God, it reinforces his colossal power and unattainable genius.


No comments: